Discover more from Wine Wanderings
Jean Charles Boisset: Burgundy, Sonoma, and Napa Valley’s Flamboyant Wine Ambassador
Multiple Wine Brands: JCB, Raymond Vineyards, DeLoach Vineyards, Buena Vista, and 1881 wines in the US – Just add Burgundy holdings to the mix of the Boisset Collection.
Interview: Jean Charles Boisset by Tricia Conover DipWSET®
What a delightful time I had in Napa Valley asking the “always fun and exuberant” Jean Charles Boisset the question, “What was your first wine “AH-HA” moment? In this brief video clip, Jean Charles tells the story of his age 7 experience at his parents’ party. Jean Charles is Napa Valley and Burgundy’s flamboyant Wine Ambassador with many wine brands among US and France wine regions.
Future Wine Wanderings newsletters will describe Boisset’s newest venture: the 1881 Napa Valley Wine History Museum.
Jean Charles Boisset’s History, Enterprises, Accomplishments
For those few people unfamiliar with Jean Charles Boisset (JCB) and his worldwide wine enterprises, here are a few details:
· Jean Charles Boisset and his sister Nathalie represent the 2nd generation of the Boisset wine family, whose holdings in Burgundy include areas of the Côte-de-Nuits and Côte-de-Beaune under a single estate, Le Domaine de La Vougeraie. Jean Charles Boisset serves as President of the Boisset Collection, one of the Top 25 wine producers in the United States.
· Napa Valley and Russian River Valley properties include DeLoach Vineyards, Raymond Vineyards (Rutherford and St. Helena), Buena Vista Winery – California’s 1st premium winery rounded, JCB by Jean Charles Boisset, and several other wineries.
· JCB tasting lounges are located in Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, Healdsburg, Sonoma County, and in Napa Valley, St. Helena and Yountville. They feature custom wines and wine bottles with snake, leopard, and jeweled ornaments. JCB Perfumes like JCB N.0 and JCB N. 13 at $395 each can be found there, too.
· JCB spirits produce luxury vodkas and gin distilled from Burgundy wines and caviar-infused and truffle-infused vodkas.
· In 2015, Jean Charles partnered with the famous musician John Legend to create the LVE brand of wines. See the rosé below, sourced from Provence, France.
· In 2014, JFK University in Concord named Jean-Charles and his wife Gina Gallo its “Entrepreneurs of the Year.”
· In 2019, Jean Charles acquired the Oakville Grocery (in Yountville and Healdsburg, CA) and created alongside the Yountville location the 1881 Napa Valley Wine History Museum with its own wine brand and all-Napa Valley choices wine tasting bar.
· DecanterMagazine included Jean Charles Boisset on the “Power List” of the 50 most important people in the wine world each year since 2007.
This is just a small summary of the accomplishments and undertakings of this busy, remarkable man. I hope you enjoy the video clip as much as I enjoyed tasting some of his numerous brands.
“Best of Tasting” Recommendations
JCB # 7 Pinot Noir, Sonoma: from Sonoma (Sebastopol Hills, Petaluma Gap, and Carneros), $60. Named for the time at age 7 when Jean Charles snuck some wine from his mom at a party. See video clip above.
92 Points, Wine Enthusiast
91 Points, WW at wine.com
94 Points, Wine Advocate
94 Points, JamesSuckling.com
2019 Buena Vista Chateau Buena Vista Chardonnay, Carneros $35
91 Points, Wine Enthusiast
Wine Tasting and Tour Experiences at Raymond Vineyards:
1. A Taste of the Valley – Arrange a tasting.
2. Winemaker for a Day, $125/person including your wine. Custom designed label. Blend a Bordeaux-style wine yourself. I have done this multiple times. It’s always a favorite Napa experience.
3. Private Tour and Tasting – Garden, crush pad, tank and barrel cellare, private group tasting.
4. Crystal Cellar Baccarat tour – You have to see this to believe it, the crystal, the chandeliers, the opulence.
5. Red Room lounge-- enjoy tasting, play cards, peruse book collection.
6. Virtual Tour with Jean Charles.
Wine Wanderings Editorial Calendar
Napa Valley Series: 2021
Ritchie Allen, Director of Viticulture and Winemaking, Rombauer Vineyards. Current Releases and 2020 Vintage Projections.
A Wine Club Event: the 50th Anniversary of Summit Lake Vineyards and Winery, Howell Mt., Napa Valley
Alpha Omega: Exclusive Interview with Head Winemaker, Matt Brain
Elizabeth Vianna, Notable Businesswoman, General Manager and Winemaker: Chimney Rock Winery of Stags Leap District, One of America’s Few Latino Winemakers
Exclusive Pritchard Hill Pioneer, Chappellet Winery: An Interview with Dominic Chappellet
The Surprising Mixologists of Napa Valley Cocktails
Traveling to Napa Valley: Wineries, Sports Activities, Shopping, Where to Eat, Where to Stay
Napa Valley Recovery: What is the Outlook for the 2020 Vintage?
Gary Farrell Winery, Russian River Valley, Sonoma: An Interview with Winemaker Theresa Heredia
The Restaurants of Calistoga, Napa Valley
The Heritage of Hall Winery, Napa Valley: Tour and Tasting
1881 Museum Napa Valley: A Transformation of the Oakville Grocery
The Best of Joseph Phelps Vineyards: Tour with a Wine Educator
What Constitutes a Great Bed & Breakfast? Recipes, Service, and Amenities
Healdsburg and the Wines of Russian River Valley: Revisiting Gary Farrell Winery
Healdsburg: Sonoma County’s Shopping and Tasting Room Mecca
America’s Exceptional Wine Country Adventures: States to Consider
The True Cost of a Cocktail with the CEO of BuzzBallz, Marilee Kick
Tour Tuscany Like a Pro
Styles of Corkscrews: Which Should I Use?
Left Bank vs. Right Bank Bordeaux: Taste the Difference
Wine Castles of Sonoma County
Smashing Summer Cocktails: The Best of Gin and Bourbon